D Endorsement | Transporting Dangerous Goods by Road


Our next course is in Hamilton on Friday, 24 July 2020 starting at 9:30am sharp

Spaces are limited - Book now - Enquire about one-on-one



Who needs a dangerous goods (D) endorsement?

If you’re transporting dangerous goods, you will need to have a dangerous goods (D) endorsement on your driver licence. 


What's the assessment process?

Our course includes theory training and an open book assessment.

What is the aim of this course?

  • This course is designed to provide you (loaders, drivers, handlers and others) with the knowledge and skills required to transport and handle dangerous goods legally and safely.
  • To enable you, upon successfull completion of the course, to apply for your "D" driver licence endorsement.

Once I've completed the course, do I have my D endorsement?

No. On successful completion of the course you will receive a course certificate. On its own this certificate is not a licence or an endorsement. You must take it to a licensing agent (VTNZ, AA, VINZ) and have it added to your licence. There is an additional fee for this, which is payable to the licensing agent.

YOU MUST present the course certificate to a licensing agent within 60 days - otherwise you will have to pay for and re-sit the course again.

Am I eligible to sit this course?

If you hold a minimum of a Class 1 New Zealand Car Licence (Learner, Restricted or Full), then you are eligible to sit this course.

How do I apply for my D endorsement?

You need to visit a licencing agency; and

How long are D endorsements valid for?

Dangerous Goods “D” endorsements are valid for 5 years, and must be renewed within five (5) years of expiry.

What is NOT included in your course?

Our course fees do not include:

- NZTA or licensing agency fees;

- NZQA Hook-on fee (if you do not have an NSN number);

- Eyesight or medical fees.

How long does this course take?

We suggest you allow for a 6 - 8 hour day.

Where do you hold courses?

We hold courses in Hamilton, South Auckland, Tauranga, Taupo. We can hold private courses, onsite at your facility, anywhere in New Zealand. We are happy to chat with you about your requirements - contact us to discuss.

What unit standard is covered?

16718 - Dangerous Goods Transported by Road.

How many trainees do you allow per training session?

Training sessions at our facilities are limited by room size which varies from place to place, however we generally limit a class to 12 persons. Training sessions at your facility will be dependant on room size availability (and Health & Safety requirements).

Can I have this course added to my Record of Learning?

Yes. It is a requirement for us to add your earned credits to your Record of Learning, and our course includes the NZQA credit registration fees (for the relevant endorsements chosen), but excludes the NZQA Hook-on fee if you do not have a NSN number. This is currently an additional cost of $23.00.


Useful Links

NZ Transport Agency - Applying for a dangerous goods (D) endorsement

Alternatively, we’re happy to design a training session that suits your individual or unique needs. These training sessions can be held either at our training facility, or at your premises. Contact us to discuss -  we'd be pleased to hear from you.

*Forklift Industrial Training reserves the right to amend our pricing at any time.

© Copyright Forklift Industrial Training
Hamilton, New Zealand